Rocky Randhawa this side...

Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani is one of my feel good watches that I keep going back to. I rewatched it a couple of weeks ago. I love this movie for the grandeur, dance numbers, filmy dialogues and of course the music.

But this isn’t a movie appreciation post. It’s more of a Rocky Randhawa appreciation post...

I mean, why don’t they write more male characters like Rocky anymore?

Because Rocky is such an oddball of a hero.

He is colourful, loud, slightly pretentious, ridiculously filmy and probably someone you’d think twice about making friends with.

He’s impulsive, dramatic and very much a “too much” kind of person. On paper, he is hardly your conventional ideal partner.

But what makes Rocky different is what lies under that loud persona.

His instinct is to love and care. He wants to show up for the people he loves. When he gets something wrong, he is capable of recognising it and learning from it. He is comfortable being vulnerable and genuinely lets himself be changed by the people around him.

And he really really loves Rani... 
Her opinions, even when they are completely different from his, don’t make him defensive. Her ambition makes him proud. He is fascinated by her mind and completely invested in the person she is...

And when loving her forces him to confront parts of himself, he actually does the work. He listens. He learns. He changes. He learns, unlearns and relearns.

What a complete green forest!

That’s the kind of male character I miss in Bollywood...

I want more men on screen who can be messy...dramatic... larger than life and imperfect while still knowing how to love, listen, apologise and grow...

Men who can be completely smitten with a woman without needing to overpower her...

Men whose vulnerability can coexist with their masculinity...

I’ll take Rocky Randhawa any day over another Kabir Singh or Rajveer from Animal, where red flags are often sold to the audience as passion and obsession is dressed up as romance...

Maybe I’m just tired of Bollywood selling the idea that being macho, aggressive and emotionally shut down is what makes a man intense!

Give me the loud, ridiculous, larger than life man whose heart is still in the right place.

Give me Rocky! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning TWENTY FIVE

The Second Love

Rewatching with New Eyes.. Turns out, perspective isn’t fixed; it grows with you.